Google

Monday, February 26, 2007

Small changes for the good.

What started this string of thoughts is this article.

Okay.. so what can "I" do to change things for the better? Surely I cannot allocate gazzillion rupees for some "Middlemen Vikas Yojana" I spend so much time just to eke out a living that I don't see myself investing time and efforts for social service. But just the fact that I cannot do something big does not prevent me from doing something small. Something that could make a huge or even a small difference for somebody.

1. I can let the poor old vegetable woman keep that 5 rupees change she has to give me. Smile and tell her its okay, if there is no change.
2. I can take a couple of story books or small toys to treks and give it to the first group of young children who catch my fancy. If I feel a bit generous I can even buy a tricycle for some poor kid in a remote adivasi village. Who knows he could grow up to become an automobile engineer.
3. Just to amuse myself, I could tell our kaamwaali that I am doing her performance review and she would be eligible for a 10% appraisal every six months if she maintained consistent quality of work and attendance schedule. Then explain to her in plain language that it means more money. But implement a quality check process and let he know that. Upgrade her to using the washing machine and microwave.
4. I can buy things whenever possible during treks in villages. Support the entrepreneurial spirit. (Pic: 350 rupees worth of "bhaji" eaten at roadside dhaba in a village enroute to Ratangad.)
5. I can promote remote fort locations to drive visitors there.
6. If you see somebody doing the work the hard way and you know a cost effective method or a method with better returns, let that person know about it. For example tell that roadside typist smart lesser known features in Word.
7. Try to change the outlook, encourage them to upgrade skills, guide them, inspire them. People usually find a way once they know their destination. The problem is there is no one to tell them what is the proper destination. Give ideas from your own experience. Ask the chinese food guy, why he does not supply cold drinks with the food. "Quadra Schewan Combination Rice Happy Menu". Ask him why does he not have a cell phone to take home delivery orders. Tell the bhelpuriwala to use bottled water as a marketing gimmick.
8. I can donate old computers to village schools. One computer can make a huge difference.
9. Explain and demonstrate all the features of my digital camera and phone to curious children who collect around you while you take photos. One of them might grow up to become a cinematographer.
10. Listen to them and their stories. That gives them a sense of self worth and confidence. Some children are just scared talking to city people or foreigners. Once you strike a communication with them, they feel confident and in future would interact a lot more and hence learn a lot more.

Thats all I can think at the moment. If you have more ideas they are welcome.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Hrishi,

Your predicament is as good as mine and hopefully many of our friends share!

Try to think of it this way....
the lady's husband went out of work because of some "Super Market".

Hope you realize that the supermarket allows YOU to buy your grocery for less (you may at least save say a Rs. 100 pm.) What you do with this extra money ..say you decide to buy your kid a small toy...teh toy company has just sold one more toy....so the factory owner has got som emore cash which he decides to spend again on something more say a fountain pen....the pen company has sold an extra pen...and so teh cycle goes!!

Although my example may not be very correct or precise..but I guess I have made the point clear!

So what actually happens is that the wealth shifts from one pocket to the other! If it shifts from the heavier pocket to the lighter pocket.( which does happen in some or the other way).it is known as a "trickle down effect".


So do not worry too much...you are indirectly helping other when you buy that extra chewing gum or cola bottle from the super market! This is the effect of increased consumption...which is what teh Market economy or capitalists profess!!!


Digvijay.