Google

Friday, January 26, 2007

Blazing BSNL Broadband

I subscribed to BSNL Broadband (DataOne) after very bad experiences with Sify and GPRS on BPL Mobile. In fact I got a landline just for that. BSNL being a government monolith, I had the least expectations. It took seven visits and three months to just get the connection. (No, I did not have to bribe) It had taken just a phonecall and 24 hrs for the BPL Mobile GPRS. So expectations were low. I did not expect much speeds, I just expected an always on connection.
I setup a system for downloading during the Happy Hours between 2 and 8 am, using FreeByte Task Scheduler (To startup programs when needed) , Down2Home (to keep an eye on the amount of data downloaded and uploaded and the speed) and BitComet (Torrent downloads). Happily BSNL recently upgraded all 256 kbps to 2 Mbps following a government order.
And the speeds... they are amazing. Check out the image which shows the status at 7 am after a 5 hours of download. 469 kbps max speed. Holy mother of byte.

No comments: